Los Angeles Bicycle Accident Attorney
Los Angeles is not known for being a bike-friendly city. While Los Angeles and other cities in the Greater Los Angeles area are trying to improve conditions for bicyclists with well-connected bike lanes, they still have a long way to go. Traffic in Los Angeles County is treacherous. Many streets are poorly lit and lack bike lanes or shared lanes where bicyclists can feel some sense of security.
As a result, fatal and major injury collisions involving bicyclists are common in Los Angeles. When a larger vehicle strikes a bicycle, it is no surprise that the bicyclist suffers the more serious injuries. This is because bicyclists are exposed to everything – the weather, the roadway, traffic and negligent motorists. If you or a loved one has been injured in the Los Angeles bicycle accident, please contact Kahn Roven to find out how we can help you secure the compensation you need and rightfully deserve.
The Danger of Biking
According to the Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA), U.S. bicycle deaths increased by 16 percent between 2010 and 2012. California leads the nation with 338 cyclists killed in 2012. While bicyclists account for only 2 percent of all traffic deaths nationwide, they account for 4 percent here in California. In Los Angeles County, 29 fatalities and 4,926 injuries were reported in 2012 as a result of bicycle accidents, according to the California Highway Patrol's Statewide Integrated Traffic Records System (SWITRS).
If You Have Been Injured in Los Angeles
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, there are a number of steps you can take to protect your legal rights:
- Remain at the scene and get medical attention right away.
- Make sure that a police report is filed and obtain a copy of that report.
- Take photographs of the scene including those of your bike, other vehicles involved and your injuries. If you are unable to do so, ask a friend or a family member to take those photographs for you.
- Get contact information for all parties involved in the collision as well as for eyewitnesses. Their testimony can be extremely valuable during the claims process.
- Do not get rid of your bicycle or repair it. Preserve it as is so that experts such as accident reconstruction specialists can examine it. Your bicycle can be an important piece of evidence.
Seeking Damages for Your Losses
Bicycle accidents often result in major injuries such as traumatic brain injury, spinal cord trauma, multiple fractures and internal organ damage. Victims may require lengthy hospitalization, surgeries and extended rehabilitative therapy. Some may be catastrophically injured and need round-the-clock nursing care. These costs could add up to millions of dollars during a person's lifetime. The injuries may also prevent the victim from working or earning a livelihood.
Victims of bicycle accidents have the right to pursue financial support from the individual or entity responsible for their injuries. Responsible parties may range from a negligent or at-fault driver to the government entity in charge of maintaining a dangerous roadway or intersection that contributed to a crash. Our Los Angeles bicycle accident attorneys will help you secure fair compensation for all of your physical, emotional and financial losses. Please call us at (888) 366-5854 or (844) 9-INJURED to schedule your free consultation and case evaluation.